Thursday, February 15, 2007

Home Sweet Home

These fotos are a bit more prosaic than usual, but we wanted to attempt to share the wonder of having our own space in the middle of a city of 16 million people. Our nest is on a relatively quiet tree-lined back street, a few blocks away from one of the main avenues in Kolkata where you can find everything from wedding sarees to pressure cookers to (of course) rivers of chai. Our landlords are both artists--a painter and a sculptor--so the apartment is filled with prints, sculptures and paintings. Very bohemian. And we're adding our own touches--a growing collection of sitars and my books and papers scattered about. Here's a mini-tour of our place (at least, our place for the next nine months or so...) Of course, everything looks better in person, so hurry up and get here and take a look for yourselves:-)


One of our TWO balconies. The plants are good company and, what with Kolkata's air pollution, they come in handy for some slightly cleaner breathing.
Josh in his practice room. A rug merchant in Kathmandu gifted us the kind of wild-looking rug he's sitting on--I'll upload a better shot of it soon--which depicts a famous Persian poet and his wife looking very poetic and amorous. There's some writing which the merchant roughly translated to: "Life's short so love well."
The bedroom which has the HUGEST bed we've ever slept in. Sleeping under a mosquito net is kind of like camping.
Our living room, ready to be filled with guests (hint, hint).
Yep, I'm still fuzzy...that's our kitchen table behind me.
My writing desk with all the fotos and totems I need to keep me company while I wait for inspiration...
The view from our SECOND balcony. The blue tarp shelters a veggie vendor right outside our front door. So convenient. And so cheap. For about 75 rupees (about $1.70 give or take) I can get several pounds of: tomatoes, ginger, garlic, peas, potatoes, onions, okra, carrots, chilis, coriander leaves (i.e. cilantro) and eggs. I love India.
The huge jacaranda tree outside our apartment. We're waiting for it to come into bloom.
Thanks to the support of the U.S. Department of State, Josh is learning how to cook. He's always had a way with eggs, but is now expanding his horizons with daal, veggie stirfrys and paneer dishes. And he also looks so cute in an apron! The Bengali women in our apartment building love watching him at work...I think they're jealous:-)

Speaking of our neighbors, they've all been super welcoming...inviting us over for tea and sending kick-ass curries and sweets. Everyone who lives in the building is related, and I think they've decided that we can be their long-lost American cousins.

We've now had two weeks of Bangla (Bengali) classes and are conjugating verbs like crazy. Interesting fact for ya'll--Bangla is the fourth most widely-spoken mother tongue in the world, with over 220 million people chatting it up. Bengalis sweetly (but wrongly) assume that just because we can say "How are you?" that we must be fluent, and immediately begin talking with us at rapid-fire speed. Even when we stare at them blankly, they strive on, convinced that we will eventually understand. Gotta admire their optimism.

What it comes down to is that life is good. We miss you all though and send much love and peace your way.

J&J

4 Comments:

Blogger nichole said...

Your little nest looks so welcoming and lovely. I can't wait until the jacaranda tree comes into bloom because that must surely augur for some good poetry.

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like he is still cooking eggs and toast -- in one pan

7:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

First, Mr. Pierce, you crack me up. I mean, I know this is Jessica and Josh's blog, but you're funny.

Two, Jessica, EAT SOMETHING. you're getting so skinny! (Now I sound like Mrs. Pierce, I am sure)

Third, your house is SO cute! I can't wait to come see it for myself!!! (How's mid-May? Everyone who knows India laughs when I say I might go to Kolkata in mid/late May, but a girl is a slave to her intern schedule, whatever that may be, we'll see...)

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to hear your news. You sound so happy! The pics are great. Really gives me a visual on where you're living and your travels. I hope you can save them in some sort of portfolio or album. Thinking about you lots....

Love, Mom R

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home